Welcoming a newborn into your life is a huge milestone filled with love, joy, and sleepless nights. As a parent, you want to capture those precious early moments to cherish for a lifetime. That’s where a newborn photographer comes in. To ensure your photoshoot is a success, here are 10 valuable tips for a perfect newborn session:
- Choose the Right Time: Newborns are usually most cooperative during the first three weeks of life. Hopefully you chose your photographer during the second semester to eliminate the stress of finding one last minute. Be sure to reach out to your photographer as soon you can to let them know baby has arrived. I will send date options to schedule your photoshoot within the first 2-3 weeks to capture those sweet, sleepy poses.
- A Cozy Studio: Here at Katie Anton Photography, the studio will be nice and toasty for baby. Babies are more likely to cooperate when they are cozy and content. I run a small heater near baby at all times to ensure that they are staying warm enough to fall into a deep sleep.
- Keep It Simple: I have everything ready to go when you arrive. I like minimalistic backgrounds and simple props that will keep the focus on your precious baby. Monochromatic colors in sets work best for me, as they won’t distract from your little one’s beauty.
- Good lighting: Most of your newborn session will take place in studio lighting. This gives me control over where the focus is in images.
- Safety First: Ensure the photographer is experienced in handling newborns safely. Babies should never be placed in precarious positions or left unattended. I preach this in so many blog posts. Ask questions, find out how your photographer was trained to pose your little one. Some images that you see are not done in a single take, but instead are composed of multiple images in post production. Babies should never be left to support themselves in any sort of upright position without support of someone’s hands on them.
- Timing Is Everything: Plan the photoshoot around your baby’s feeding and nap schedule. A well-fed, rested baby is more likely to cooperate. I don’t give parents to much in terms of prep guides. Sessions start at 10 am. And all I ask is you feed baby before you hop in the car to head my way. There’s nothing like a car ride to sooth them to sleep with a full belly. Everything else will fall into place. Newborns sleep most of their day at this age.
- Capture the Details: Don’t forget to zoom in on the tiny fingers, toes, and other adorable features. These details add depth and emotion to your photos.
- Bring Essentials: Pack diapers, wipes, extra blankets, and a pacifier. You never know when you might need them to soothe or clean up your little one. Everything else we need I already have at the studio, so pack your essentials to care for baby and mom, and relax knowing I have you covered!
- Include Family: Consider including siblings and parents in some shots to capture the bond and love in the family. These photos will be treasured for years to come.
- Patience is Key: Newborns can be unpredictable. Be patient and go with the flow. Some of the most precious moments happen when you least expect them.
A newborn session is an opportunity to freeze time and create lasting memories of your baby’s early days. By following these tips and choosing an experienced photographer, you can ensure a picture-perfect session that will fill your heart with warmth every time you look at those precious images. Cherish these moments, for they are fleeting, and your little one will grow faster than you can imagine.
Hopefully you’ve enjoyed these 10 tips for a perfect newborn session and you have a wonderful session with your photographer!