I’m going to use this blog to introduce another one of my session options when it comes to photographing newborns. My Mt Clemens Newborn Photography studio has two newborn packages. My heirloom newborn session is what we will be talking about in today’s blog. There is also the petite session, which you can read more about here.
First, let me say that when you are on the hunt for a newborn photographer, there are few of the important things I you should look for.
- Someone who’s images you really vibe with. Every photographer has a “style”, favorite props, colors etc. Some prefer all neutrals, some love bright bold colors. It’s important to find a photographer that suits the look you want in your final images.
- Education. Don’t hesitate to ask your photographer how they learned their trade. Many photographers are self taught. Some may have gone to college for a business degree, or an arts degree. Ask if they’ve had safety training for newborn photography, if they know infant CPR etc.
- As photographers we don’t have any form of licensing requirements in our state. But a business license and insurance is something I think is very important. It shows that we are here and committed to our business, and the safety of our clients.
- Products vs digitals. What is the ultimate destination you want for your photos? Do you want digitals that you can post on social media. Maybe print a few for family. Would you like a photographer that provides art for your walls. Maybe you need some direction on a layout for your art, what sizes and shapes will look best in your home. Framed, or canvas. At this time I’m a digital image provider. However, I’m more than happy to help with art, if you’d like. I can provide you options and products to suit your needs, just let me know.
- Budget. When you know what goes into a photographers business, know that all those items I listed, and more, are factored into their pricing. This is always the first thing people want to know. What’s it gonna cost. Let’s talk some more about that.
My heirloom package is my most booked package. It is the package that includes family photos. Whether its just parents, or if siblings are included as well. Because it includes those family portraits it’s also my longer newborn session.
In my heirloom package, we’re going to use 1-2 table backgrounds and 2-3 props. Family photos typically fall at the end of the session. This way if baby is awake by now we can wrap them up and proceed. This package includes at least 20 digital images. After our session I will deliver all the cutest, most magical images, fully edited and ready for you to share with family and friends. This is the perfect session for parents that just want the most from their session.
Here are images from Maverick’s Heirloom session.